Warm rye cereal with apple and hazelnut
- 1 cup rolled rye flakes or old fashioned rolled oats
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 7 tbsp apple juice
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 apple, cored and coarsely shredded (eat the rest of the apple while the cereal is cooking)
- 2 tbsp toasted hazelnuts, skinned and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp low-fat plain skyr (or Cheater’s Skyr)
- Bring the rye flakes, water, and apple juice to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes, or until the rye flakes are tender.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the egg white, and set aside for one minute.
- Serve topped with the grated apple, hazelnuts, and skyr.
- To toast and skin hazelnuts, preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until the skins split. Transfer the nuts to a kitchen towel and let cool for 10 minutes. Use the towel to rub the skins off the nuts. Don’t worry if some skin remains. Let cool before chopping.
Nutritional information (per serve)