Roast beef & winter vegies with currant gravy
1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 kg Beef topside or rump roast
- 1/2 cup Red wine
- 4 Large parsnips, peeled, trimmed, halved lengthways
- Olive-oil spray
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1/3 cup Cranberry sauce
- 6 Large carrots, peeled into ribbons
- 8 Medium zucchini, peeled into ribbons
- 2 tbsp Finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place a large flameproof casserole dish (with a lid) over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook for 10 minutes, turning, until browned on all sides. Add wine and ½ cup water. Cover with lid and place casserole dish in oven. Roast for 1½ hours, or until beef is tender.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place parsnips on prepared tray and spray with oil; roast for the final 25–30 minutes of beef cooking time, or until parsnips are golden and tender.
- Transfer cooked beef and parsnips to a chopping board, keeping juices in casserole dish. Cover beef and parsnips with foil to keep warm.
- Make gravy: Place casserole dish with juices over medium-high heat. Sprinkle flour into pan juices and stir continuously until combined, adding more water if needed. Add cranberry sauce and stir until well combined. Bring mixture to the boil; cook for 2–3 minutes, or until thick.
- Meanwhile, cook carrots and zucchini ribbons in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 1–2 minutes, or until just tender. Drain.
- Stir parsley through gravy. Transfer to gravy boat. Thinly slice roast beef and serve with ribboned vegetables, parsnips and gravy.
Nutritional information (per serve)