Chorizo, rice and bean bowl
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large chorizo (about 150 g/51⁄2 oz), diced
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 red capsicum (pepper), seeded and diced
- 2 sweetcorn cobs, kernels removed
- 400 g (14 oz) tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (see tips)
- 370 g (2 cups) cooked brown rice (see tips)
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz) kale, centre veins removed, leaves chopped
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Natural yoghurt, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and chorizo and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the chorizo is golden. Add the paprika and cook, stirring, for one minute or until fragrant.
- Add the capsicum and corn kernels and cook, stirring, for two minutes or until almost tender. Add the beans and rice and cook for two minutes or until heated through. Add the kale and cook, stirring, until just wilted.
- Serve with a wedge of lime and a dollop of yoghurt.
- For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free chorizo.
- You can replace the tinned kidney beans with 255g (9 oz/11⁄2 cups) cooked kidney beans, and you can replace the kale with trimmed silverbeet (Swiss chard) or English spinach leaves.
- To make 370g (2 cups) cooked brown rice, start with 165g (5 3/4oz / 3/4cup) uncooked.
Nutritional information (per serve)