Breakfast quesadillas with black beans, spinach and mushrooms
+SAVE RECIPE / SHOPPING LIST VIEW SAVED RECIPES
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g (7oz) button mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 400 g (14oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, diced
- 4 large wholegrain tortillas
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup firmly packed baby English spinach leaves
- hot chilli sauce, to taste
- olive oil spray, for toasting
- 1/3 cup cup natural yoghurt
- coriander (cilantro) leaves, to garnish
PRINT, DOWNLOAD, SHARE
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium–high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 3–4 minutes or until golden.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the beans and tomato and cook for 1 minute or until heated through. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat a sandwich press. Spread a quarter of the mushroom mixture over half of a tortilla. Top with a quarter of the cheese, a quarter of the spinach leaves, and chilli sauce to taste. Fold the tortilla over to enclose the filling. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and fillings.
- Spray the quesadillas on both sides with oil. Cook in batches in the sandwich press for 3 minutes or until the quesadillas are crisp and the cheese has melted. (Alternatively cook the quesadillas in a large non-stick frying pan for 2 minutes each side.)
- Serve with a dollop of yoghurt, garnished with coriander.
Energy per serving: 1435kJ Chrissy Freer, author of Supergrains and now Superlegumes (both published by Murdoch Books), creates delicious recipes with a holistic health focus. She has contributed to countless magazines and books as a recipe developer, nutrition writer, food editor, and stylist. You can find out more about Chrissy.
Nutritional information (per serve)
Calories: 340kcal | Protein: 16g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 755mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 7g